Sweet Potato... Toast? A Trendy Twist on a Classic Breakfast Staple.
Usually when you think of sweet potatoes you think of baking them, sticking them in a casserole or frying them. However, there is a new trend taking over that allows you to enjoy this orange root vegetable as a part of your healthy breakfast: toasting them!
Yes, this trend is taking over the foodie blogs, magazines and Instagram accounts. From a dietitians perspective, this is one trend I can certain stand behind. By swapping out plain white-bread toast for sweet potato toast, you are increasing your fiber intake, vegetable intake and vitamin A intake while increasing flavor as well!
All you have to do is thinly slice your sweet potato into long slices, stick in the toaster and toast until your preference. For me, I had to toast it 2-3 times to get it crispy enough to my liking. Keep in mind, toasters and preference vary so play around with the timing of it.
Next is the fun part, add your favorite toppings:
- Lox, dill and cucumbers
- Almond butter and banana
- Fried egg and fresh ground black pepper
- Peanut butter and pomegranate seeds
or my favorite:
- Fried egg, mashed avocado, cilantro and Sriracha sauce (see below for recipe)
Whatever your favorite toppings are, be sure to enjoy this gluten-free and lower FODMAP alternative to white bread toast. Please leave comments with your favorite sweet potato toast toppings!
Egg, Avocado, Cilantro and Sriracha sauce on Sweet Potato Toast
This breakfast is easy, delicious and contains protein, some heart-healthy fats and a starchy vegetable to help you stay fuller throughout the morning.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 small avocado
- 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- Sriracha sauce (optional)
1. Mash the avocado and mix with the chopped cilantro and lime juice and set aside.
2. Slice the sweet potato into 4 long (toast-sized) slices and place in the toaster. Times may vary. Start toasting it on medium, and increase time as needed.
3. Fry egg in a non-stick pan as desired, top with fresh ground pepper.
4. Place fried egg on each slice of sweet potato toast, top with mashed avocado and drizzle Sriracha sauce as desired. Enjoy!
299 Calories, 22 g carbohydrates, 16 g fat, 14 g protein, 165 mg sodium, 8 g sugar